For sometime I have been a fan of Japanese gardens. The flow, the focal points, the stone, the water and the wonderful trees. I, along with my family, live in The Woodlands, Texas. The local environment of east Texas lends itself to a Japanese garden style with our majestic pines, as well as palms and deciduous trees, availability of powerful stone and our unique weather. I have been studying the art of Japanese gardens, as well as the art of the garden tree, and am writing this blog to discuss the growth of my own Japanese garden, as well as discuss my fondness for this ancient style.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Dead Wood Bonsai

This is a slow process but I think in the end it will turn out to be something my family and I will really appreciate. About year ago I pulled up this old bush out of my front yard and set it beside my house.  And there it stayed.  I'd seen various bonsai's utilizing dead wood so I thought I'd attempt to do the same thing here.  For some great examples please here.


The pic to the left is at the very early stages.  I cleared off some unwanted wood, prior to removing roots and flatting the base.


















Now this picture is after flatting the base so that it stands up in a pot.  I still have not decided on which style of plant in want to integrate this dead wood with but I'm thinking maybe a juniper.







I've got some work to do but I really like the way this wood looks. I'll be providing updates as long as I don't ruin it.









No comments:

Post a Comment