For sometime I have been a fan of Japanese gardens. The flow, the focal points, the stone, the water and the wonderful trees. I, along with my family, live in The Woodlands, Texas. The local environment of east Texas lends itself to a Japanese garden style with our majestic pines, as well as palms and deciduous trees, availability of powerful stone and our unique weather. I have been studying the art of Japanese gardens, as well as the art of the garden tree, and am writing this blog to discuss the growth of my own Japanese garden, as well as discuss my fondness for this ancient style.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Majestic Pine


When people think of a Japanese garden, pictures of bamboo and Japanese maples come to life.  But there is no other tree that defines a Japanese garden like the pine tree. The Japanese people hold it in an elevated position for symbolic reasons.  First off, the pine grows everywhere on the island nation.  From the north to the south, in the mountains and along the rocky coastline, the pine tree is everywhere.

This tree represents longevity because it grows to great age and even looks older - thus evoking wisdom and knowledge - traits that are greatly admired in the Japanese culture.  These trees are resistant to change, maintaining their green throughout the different seasons.  This represents power against insurmountable forces.

When my family and I first moved to The Woodlands, I didn't really care for the pine trees.  They are everywhere - dripping their sap and pine needles on everything.  But as I've been studying the art of Japanese gardens, I've learned to really appreciate these majestic trees.  I have even gotten my wife to admire them, and look for the odd shaped pines that are unique and pleasant to gaze upon.

The picture above was taken down the street from our home.  If you look closely you can see the bent and twisted trunk that zig-zags towards the heavens - its horizontal branches stretching towards the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment