For sometime I have been a fan of Japanese gardens. The flow, the focal points, the stone, the water and the wonderful trees. I, along with my family, live in The Woodlands, Texas. The local environment of east Texas lends itself to a Japanese garden style with our majestic pines, as well as palms and deciduous trees, availability of powerful stone and our unique weather. I have been studying the art of Japanese gardens, as well as the art of the garden tree, and am writing this blog to discuss the growth of my own Japanese garden, as well as discuss my fondness for this ancient style.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Bonsai Attempt

Ok so as I stated in a previous post, I purchased a relatively small Juniper plant for around pennies on the dollar - a common theme around my house.  As I perused the plant collection at a local garden center, I was searching for a specimen that stood out.  One that had a thick interesting distorted trunk, and long arching limbs so that I can start my "cascading" Bonsai.


It doesn't look like much but through my untrained western eye I believe it has potential.  I took a gander at the trunk, one of the thinker ones in the collection.  It had a couple of offshoots that bent up and down, twisted to and fro.  A couple of the limbs, as you can see in the picture above, are fairly long and have already started their descent.  To me, this was a blank slat.  First things first, I had to get it out of the plastic container, and into something a little more appealing - something that would also show off the tree.




What a difference a pot makes.  Actually Bonsai comes from the Chinese word Pun Sai which means "tree in a pot," so obviously the pot is very important.    Immediately you are able to see the whole tree and all important trunk.  What I'm trying to imagine as I prune and train the tree, is an old Japanese black pine - wind swept and distorted on the cliffs above the Pacific Ocean.


If you look closely, you will be able to see that I've pruned a few different "branches" off the trunk.


The pruning continues.  Also, an important step is identifying the front profile, which I have.  After turning and turning the specimen I quickly chose this view - right or wrong.


While I'm far from done, I did make a couple more cuts.  Additionally, I've added a few stones which I hope help the tree look more natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment